Impromptu salo-salo

We didn't plan it but it happened =)

I met a Filipina last June at Red Cross office. She went there to ask information about volunteering. I talked to her and right then & there the connection was established. Came the exchanging of numbers and addresses. Although we are in the same city but we seldom see each other but talk on the phone. Until this past week, where we frequently called each other and I came to visit her at her workplace where she was assigned as volunteer.

Just today, my husband can't pick me up after my class because of an important matter to attend to. I called my friend and asked her for a favor if i can hitch a ride on her way home. She's more than willing to pick me and drop me off home. But I told her I will go to her workplace then from there she can drop me off on her way home. So while we're on our way out our husband's post, she asked me if I have any plans for the rest of the day. Since there's none, she told me why not we go to her place and cook a Filipino dish for a "munting salo-salo". A good idea! We decided to cook "sinigang na baka". We bought the ingredients and passed by the Filipino store and rented a dvd movie "So Happy Together" starred Eric Quizon & Kris Aquino.

Man! the "sinigang" was outstanding! We ate while watching the movie. I felt I was in our home back in Philippines having the sinigang for lunch. Then you're sweating as you sipped the hot sinigang soup mwahh! Heavenly! =) And the movie...well a typical Filipino drama/comedy with a bit of sayawan and kantahan ng mga bida. But in whole it's okay.

Even if it started as a mundane Tuesday but it ended a very great one. We had a wonderful time together with our impromptu salo-salo...getting to know each other more being kababayans. We're praying for a lasting friendship. May not be equal to the friendship that we saw in the movie but something that is worth keeping for.

 

15 comments:

Raquel said...

Wow,sounds good to me, sinigang na baka. I really miss Filipino foods. We don;t have a place where you can buy a beef or pork for sinigang/tinola recipe. Hindi kc masarap kung puro laman lang.

How long you've been here, Bless? As what you had said someone pick you up. Iba talaga dito kilangan everyone knows how to drive.

Bless said...

Hi Quel! I did enjoyed our salo-salo yesterday kahit kami lang dalawa.

Been here in the US for 7 months pa lang. My new friend, the one who picked me up, been here for 17yrs na but transferred here in Georgia last June from Arkansas.

Ladynred said...

Hi Bless,
Hummmmm, ang sarap ng sinigang at may bonus na Dolphy pa! mabuti may friend kang nakilala. Seven months ka palng d'yan. Siguro nhohomesick ka ano?

Bless said...

Hello Agring! as in gipaningot jud ko sa sinigang hehehe. Oo nga am happy that i'm able to met other Filipinos here too.
Di naman gaanong homesick hehehe but i miss my family in the Philippines very much. Just wishing I could visit them very soon =)

JO said...

hi bless. for me mas maganda ang impromtu kasi natutuloy... :-)

Bless said...

hello Jo! yeah best believe that! =)

Anonymous said...

Hello Bless ... having sinigang na baka with friend ay pinakamasarap na lunch ang dating.. take care Bless... wishing you great weekend....

Anonymous said...

Hi Bless,

Ang bait naman ng friend mo, maganda yan at least diba may alalay kana na rin. ~_^

Oy, masarap din yang sigang na beef. Ako usually, bangus or pork sinigang lang. ^-^

Bless said...

Hi Amika! yep as in we had a blast jud! :-)

Lanie, yes she's really mabait. and I'm so thankful that she always call me up to. At least now I have somebody to make chika to hehehe.

Anonymous said...

You had delicious Filipino food and a movie to entertain you but the best part of it, you found a new friend.

Bless said...

hi evi, you are absolutely right! that's the best thing that ever happened :-)

Ligaya said...

Hi Bless! I missed a lot of your posts, na-busy ako ng husto before and after Ninev's birthday. Only last night that I was able to visit my blog, then after my post there nagloko na, can't access thru it ewan ko anong nangyari. I think it needs some repair..hehe!
I'm glad you were able to hang out with your friend. Sinigang na baka sounds yummy, tagal na rin akong di nakapagluto niyan. =)
Take care and God bless you both! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Bless said...

HI Ligaya! I know you've been busy with Ninev's bday party :-) nweis thanks always for visiting here and leaving sweet comments. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bless, I'm happy you made a filipina friend there. Sarap ng feeling no? How was the movie Happy Together ba? I'm thinking of renting baya but afraid that it will be too boring or corny.

Bless said...

You said so Geri! Finding a Filipina friend here is like finding a kakampi na din hehehe.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin